In cooperation with Hussar Games, Battlefront.com is thrilled to release "1848", a turn based strategy game for the PC. In a unique and exciting twist however, "1848", the full and complete version, is available to the gaming public, TOTALLY FREE!
1848 - GAME BACKGROUND
"1848" is set during the violent era of the Hungarian Independence War of 1848-49. 1848 was a year of revolutions. Most of the uprisings were crushed quickly, but Hungary was an exception. In the spring of 1849 the Hungarian army seized victory from the Austrians and liberated the entire nation but victory was short and sweet - in the summer the Tsar of Russia intervened with 200,000 troops. In history, this force could not be stopped. The player of 1848 has a chance to change history...
The game was sponsored by the Hungarian Ministry of Education and the Hungarian version was released for the anniversary of 1848 in March 2005. It was a huge success in Hungary: in a country of 10 million people, the game had more then 100,000 downloads. The free fully localized English version, published by Battlefront.com, includes a number of changes and refinements (e.g. an overhauled graphical interface) and bug fixes (e.g. an important fix to TCP/IP play).
1848 - GAME FEATURES
* Full Game is FREE TO THE PUBLIC
* Turn based strategy 1 turn = 1 week
* The game takes place in Central Europe in the Carpathian basin, within the borders of the Austrian Empire
* Large resolution (4000x2600 pixel) map, based on contemporary maps of the region
* 14 different unit types including Infantry, Militia, Cuirassiera, Hussaras, Cossacks, Siege Artillery and more
* 3 nations: Hungary, Austria and Russia
* 100 generals, many with authentic historical portraits
* Authentic period music
* Dynamic weather system
* Easy-to-use intuitive interface
* Multiplayer support via Play By Email, LAN (TCP/IP), and Hotseat
For more information about the game, please visit:
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Home of Superior War and Strategy Games