COLUMBIA, SC – SpeedTree® 5.0, a complete re-engineering of IDV’s award-winning foliage software, will be available for evaluation beginning on the first day of the Game Developers
Conference in San Francisco on March 25, 2009.
With SpeedTree 5.0, IDV’s unmatched tree and plant middleware delivers a new level of modeling control and rendering efficiency. The first 5.0 evaluations will be handed out to those
who visit IDV’s booth, #5302 in North Hall at the Moscone Center.
“SpeedTree 5.0 represents a huge leap forward for artists and programmers,” promised IDV President Michael Sechrest. “Developers can grow procedural versions quickly or design just the
tree they want, then fill a level or a world with vast numbers of animated, naturally-lit models.”
The new version draws on nearly a decade of foliage tool development experience at IDV, Mr. Sechrest added, as well as the countless recommendations and requests from the top studios around the world that make up SpeedTree’s extensive user base.
Major new features of 5.0 include:
• Hand & Procedural Modeling. The new SpeedTree Modeler enables an unprecedented degree of control over the tree’s geometry. Prune branches, set force parameters to guide branch shape, and grow SpeedTree models around rocks, walls or other imported meshes.
• Physics. SpeedTree geometry now features the data necessary to interface SpeedTree with your physics engine, and includes built-in support for NVIDIA PhysX™ technology and the new NVIDIA PhysX APEX Vegetation Module*.
• Multiple Integration Options. SpeedTree can be brought into games and other real-time applications at any level – as a mesh, as geometry, as a partial integration with the user’s engine, or through a full integration. Comprehensive, integration-friendly reference applications are available to accelerate integration into the game development pipeline.
• Lighting. SpeedTree 5 offers a new degree of lighting realism, including dynamic shadows, ambient occlusion and translucency.
• Levels of Detail. SpeedTree 5’s aggressive new levels of detail system means more trees in a scene than ever before while SpeedTree maintains high-quality, pop-free transitions.
Screenshots from the SpeedTree 5.0 reference application are available at www.speedtree.com.
SpeedTree, winner of the 2005 Front Line Award for middleware, delivers beautiful, amazingly natural real-time trees and plants with seamless LOD transitions, an array of lighting, physics & wind effects, and an SDK programmed to support any level of engine integration. SpeedTreeRT includes the SpeedTree Modeler, a Windows application that offers a unique hybrid of hand and procedural modeling options.
Interactive Data Visualization, Inc. (IDV) develops software products with a focus on real-time three dimensional applications for the game development, visual simulation, engineering
visualization, and animation industries. IDV, a privately held corporation, was founded in 1999 in Columbia, South Carolina. For more information about IDV, visit www.idvinc.com.