It has been nearly two years since the release of Dominions 3: The Awakening. Two years post release can be a desolate time or most games. Patches dry up. Developers have moved onto their next project. The community ends up a shell of its former glory. And the games themselves at that point? Forgotten, their ghosts occasionally conjured on a forum, gone as quickly as they come.
Most games. But Dominions 3: The Awakening isn't most games.
Almost two years since release the game is still going as strong as day one. The community continues to spread its dominion around the globe while the developers— Illwinter Game Design— provide massive support to their masterwork. In the two years since release new content, bug smashing, and gameplay enhancements have been a regular occurrence. Today, this wealth of support continues.
Illwinter Game Design has just released the latest patch for their award-winning fantasy turn-based strategy game, Dominions 3: The Awakening, published by Shrapnel Games. The patch brings the retail version to 3.20 and includes the following:
* Occasional crash during host fixed.
* Move order validation improved.
* Battle enchantments expired when caster retreats from battleground.
* New switch: --nocheatdet.
* Nation mods properly recognized when starting network games.
* Increased maximum number of maps allowed in the map folder.
* New weapon modding commands: #dt_small, #dt_large, #dt_raise, #dt_magic, #dt_constuctonly, #dt_demononly, #mrnegates, #mrnegateseasily, #mind.
* Weapon modding: Range -1 = strength as range, -2 = str/2, etc.
* Increased modding limits for maximum number of monsters and descriptions.
* Monster modding: #cold and #heat takes an area variable.
* New monster modding commands: #watershape, #landshape, #forestshape, #plainshape, #unique, #stormimmune, #startaff, #bloodvengeance, #stonebeing, #leper, #beckon.
* LA Atlantis uw recruitment improved.
* LA Atlantis hero.
* Modding: Fixed problem with disappearing magic abilities when enabling many mods.
* Increased maximum number of messages (for huge games).
* Increased maximum number of commanders and units (for huge games).
The patch is available for all operating systems supported by Dominions 3: The Awakening (Windows, OSX, and Linux) and can be downloaded from its official product page here:
For those unfamiliar with the game Dominions 3: The Awakening is amazing, deep, fantastic, and highly addictive. Oh sure, we know you're scoffing at such a superfluous description. You've been around the block once or twice when it comes to press releases and have learned to fade out when your eyes fall upon things like "next gen", "innovative", "addictive", or "has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory rats". Go ahead and download the demo. Just be prepared to give up food, sleep, and human contact.
"Mad, bad, and dangerous to know, Dominions 3: The Awakening frustrates, then hooks, then becomes a threat to your health and sanity through sheer addictiveness, " Brett Todd of PC Gamer said of it. "If you want great depth and bang for your buck, you can't go wrong with Dominions 3."
Jeff Lackey of Gamespot noted the strong multiplayer support for the game. "You'll have no problem finding a multitude of online games that will welcome you, no matter what your level of experience, and an online game with 20 other players, divided into opposing and shifting alliances of nations, can provide an epic feel…"
All one has to do to comprehend how strong the multiplayer scene is still after two years is to browse our forums or many other popular gathering spots on the 'net. Quarter to Three, home to the best and brightest in the industry, always has a multiplayer game going on, as does the supreme E/N site, Something Awful. How many other indie games do you know of that boast such longevity amongst their fans?
Dominions 3: The Awakening is available for Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux as a physical product (sorry, not available digitally). Shipping is fast and cheap, and now until September 7th you can save $8.00 off its regular price! Just follow the direct link on its above game page which will take you directly to our online store, the Gamers Front.
For more award-winning games of distinction please visit us at our newly redesigned site, www.shrapnelgames.com for our complete range of titles. And be sure to grab some of our free titles, including the ancestor of Dominions 3, Conquest of Elysium II while there.
For press related information please contact Scott R. Krol by using the following form: