TOKYO, Aug. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that it will add new features to PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) through the system software update ver. 1.80, scheduled on August 28, 2012. SCE will also expand PlayStation®Plus, the subscription service package on PlayStation®Network which brings value-added offerings including exclusive services and content, to PS Vita users this year.
By installing the system software update ver. 1.80, users will be able to enjoy legendary original PlayStation® titles on their PS Vita's beautiful 5-inch OLED display, in addition to various new features, including:
· Control the home screen and some features in applications, such as Video, Music, or Settings, using the buttons on PS Vita.
· Variable speed playback, fast-rewind and fast-forward, and repeat play will be supported in the Video application.
· Music playlists which are imported from PlayStation®3 (PS3®) or iTunes*1 under Music application will be supported.
· "Cross-Controller" icon will be added to the LiveArea™ under the Remote Play application to enable users to play PS3 format software by using their PS Vita as a controller.*2
SCE will also deliver PlayStation Plus, which is currently available for PS3 users, to PS Vita users this year. By purchasing a membership to PlayStation Plus, PS Vita users will be able to enjoy various services which will become available exclusively for members.
On the software front, several exciting and attractive new titles will be released in time for the holiday season from 3rd party developers and publishers as well as from SCE Worldwide Studios. Upcoming software titles for PS Vita include Assassin's Creed III: Liberation from Ubisoft available on October 30, Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified from Activision Publishing, Inc., Little Big Planet PlayStation®Vita from SCE available on September 25. Additionally, SCE will expand the catalog of games that support "cross platform features." With these features, SCE will deliver a ground-breaking gaming experience that leverages the capabilities of both PS Vita and PS3.
· Cross-Play feature − STREET FIGHTER X TEKKEN from CAPCOM, available on October 23, will allow PS3 and PS Vita users to enjoy match or collaborative gameplay.
· Cross-Save feature − By managing saved data between PS Vita and PS3, the Cross-Save feature for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royal from SCE, available on November 20, enables users to continue playing on the go with their PS Vita, right from where they left off on their PS3 at home.
SCE will vigorously promote PS Vita platform and deploy various measures to further expand the portable gaming market.
About Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
Recognized as the global leader and company responsible for the progression of consumer-based computer entertainment, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) manufactures, distributes, develop and markets the PlayStation®2 (PS2®) computer entertainment system, the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) handheld entertainment system, the PlayStation®3 (PS3®) computer entertainment system and the PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) portable entertainment system. SCEI has revolutionized home entertainment since they launched PlayStation in 1994. PS2® further enhances the PlayStation legacy as the core of home networked entertainment. PSP® is a handheld entertainment system that allows users to enjoy 3D games with high-quality full-motion video and high-fidelity stereo audio. PS3® is an advanced computer system, incorporating the powerful Cell Broadband Engine and RSX processors. PS Vita is an ultimate portable entertainment system that offers a revolutionary combination of rich gaming and social connectivity within a real world context. SCEI also delivers the PlayStation® experience to open operating systems through PlayStation®Suite, a cross platform and cross device initiative. Headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, SCEI, along with its affiliated companies, Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC., and Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd., and its division companies, Sony Computer Entertainment Japan and Sony Computer Entertainment Asia develops, publishes, markets and distributes hardware and software, and manages the third party licensing programs for these platforms in the respective markets worldwide.
*1 iTunes must be version 10.6.3 or later.
*2 Depends on title, both PS3 and PS Vita software titles will be required.
PlayStation, PS3 and PSP are registered trademarks of, and LIVEAREA is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
iTunes is a trademark of Apple Inc.
All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.