November 12, 2004 -- Ubisoft, one of the world's largest videogame publishers, today announced that Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2 for the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system has achieved gold status and is headed for manufacturing. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon 2 for PlayStation 2 carries an “T” (Teen) rating from the ESRB with a suggested retail price of $49.99 and is scheduled to ship for store shelves on November 30, 2004.
On July 4th, 2007, a North Korean missile base is hacked and used to launch a Cruise missile against the USS Clarence E. Walsh in the Korea Strait. US Intelligence suspects that the North Koreans were not responsible for the attack, and the US decides to strictly defend against North Korea. While they mass troops to defend Seoul, the Americans also send Third Echelon agent Sam Fisher in North Korea to investigate. At the same time, the Ghosts are deployed behind enemy lines to carry out sabotage, reconnaissance and quick strikes against the NKA should the conflict explode. Officially, not a single US asset is in North Korea.
As the conflict rages, the Ghosts perform a series of successful missions, including the rescue of a dissident officer from a prison camp. During the course of these operations, the Ghosts learn that the architect of the escalation is Major-General Paik, who sees it as an opportunity to seize power and advance his ambitions.
On July 10th, thanks to Third Echelon agent Sam Fisher, a cease-fire is signed between the US and the DPRK. For the general public, the war is over, but the actions of Major-General Paik are troubling. Throughout the Fall, US Intelligence gathers evidence that Paik is not interested in the cease-fire. Instead, he is building a nuclear program. In November of 2007, Major-General Paik accelerates the program, hoping to launch a pre-emptive nuclear strike. He hopes to reverse what he sees as a cowardly ending to the July crisis, and to force his government to go to war again.
The Ghosts are once again sent to the DPRK, and must now stop the DPRK nuclear program in its tracks.
• Exclusive game design for the PS2: Storyline, level design, and cinematic sequences will be unique to the PS2. Developed by Ubisoft Shanghai (Splinter Cell PS2), the PS2 version is the first Clancy title to be built from the ground up for the PS2. This version acts as a prequel to the Xbox version (set in 2011)
• Complete Immersion in the War of Tomorrow: Players will utilize the most high-tech, advanced weapons and gadgets to defeat the smartest, deadliest A.I. yet in this epic struggle. Intense battle sequences, countless enemies, and a gritty story power the campaigns.
• New Graphic and Physics Technology: Ghost Recon 2-PS2 is built off the Unreal engine, and provides stunning environments, lighting, and character detail. The new Havok 2 physics engine provides realistic effects for destructible objects, moving vehicles, ragdoll physics and spectacular special effects.
• Lead a Brand New Team of Special Forces: Interact with and fight alongside new characters to the Ghost Recon world – each with his or her own look, personality, and specialization. As the Ghost leader, control your squad via voice commands and a new, one click interface.
• All-New Camera Angle Fully Immerses You in the War: Ghost Recon 2 unveils a brand-new camera view to the Ghost Recon world. The OTS (over-the-shoulder) view allows players to see their characters and weapons, and watch them react to surrounding mortar, gunfire, and airstrikes. Players can also communicate with teammates via hand signals to silently trap enemies.
• Wage War Online: Up to 16 players online, both cooperative and competitive modes, and dedicated servers will provide a top notch multiplayer experience.