SAN FRANCISCO, CA – March 15, 2005 - Ubisoft, one of the world's largest video game publishers, today announced that Cold Fear™ has shipped for the XboxÂ® system from Microsoft and for the PlayStationÂ®2 computer entertainment system. Developed by Darkworks Studio, Cold Fear is a thrilling action-horror game that electrifies with action-packed gameplay and a horrifying, suspenseful storyline. In Cold Fear, players can master every situation – if they keep their blood cold and use their wits. Because on a hell-bound ship, everyone is DEAD weight. Cold Fear is rated “M” (Mature) for Blood and Gore, Intense Violence and Language and has an MSRP of $49.99.
“Ubisoft is making a huge impact on the action-horror genre with the release of Cold Fear,” said Tony Kee, vice president of marketing for Ubisoft. “Cold Fear challenges even the toughest competitor to endure an immersive gameplay experience that features an aggressive A.I. system, interactive environments that enhance the already intense combat, blood-crazed enemies and heart-stopping terror with its kill-or-be-killed attitude.”
Players step into the role of Tom Hansen, a U.S. Coast Guardsman who is sent to board a drifting Russian whaling ship in the middle of a howling storm on the Bering Sea. He arrives only to discover that terrifying surprises await him on the bloodstained decks of the constantly rocking, shifting vessel. Set in a volatile, dynamic environment, the game will have players overwhelmed by fear as they engage in intense combat with intelligent enemies. Game features include:
• Unique gameplay: The violent storm constantly rocks the ship’s deck, creating unpredictable gameplay that challenges player stability. Dangerous waves, blinding foam, slippery rain, and swinging lifeboats and cables can either help or hurt the player’s ability to survive.
• Interactive environments: Use objects on the ship to kill enemies. Destroy enemies with electrical transformers, fire bullets at combustible barrels and shoot steam pipes to reveal invisible enemies.
• Powerful enemies: Aggressive, intelligent enemies, including mercenaries, frantic mutants and lurking parasites, engage the player in intense combat. Each enemy has different strengths and weaknesses so the player will constantly be confronted by new threats.
• Realistic weapons: Choose one of seven weapons to kill enemies. Firepower includes an AK47, a shotgun, an MP5, a flamethrower, a grenade launcher and an experimental spear gun.
• Unique camera angles: A new feature within the horror genre, the over-the-shoulder camera angle enhances action and aids long-range combat.
• Land a critical hit: The critical hit offers gamers unique ways to kill enemies with a single shot in desperate situations.
Founded in 1998, Darkworks develops video games on consoles with an emphasis on deep scenarios and great art. Darkworks gained worldwide recognition in 2001 when it completed the 4th episode in the Alone in the Dark series on PlayStation and Dreamcast. With its two characters-parallel adventures, great graphics and innovative gameplay, the game hit the million copies mark and was critically acclaimed worldwide. Based in Paris, the 60-person team is led by an experienced group of talents. With Cold Fear, the team has produced a technical and artistic achievement, as well as a complete renewal of the horror genre.
Ubisoft is a leading producer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment products worldwide. It is the fastest growing company in the videogame industry and has grown considerably through its strong and diversified line-up of products and partnerships. Ubisoft has offices in 21 countries and sales in more than 50 countries around the globe. It is committed to delivering high-quality, cutting-edge videogame titles to consumers. Ubisoft generated revenue of â‚¬ 508 million for the 2003–2004 fiscal year, an increase of 22.5% over the previous fiscal year at constant exchange rates. To learn more, please visit www.ubisoftgroup.com
Related Resources: None Title: Cold Fear (Multi-Platform)