Bringing familiar faces and locations from the hit film, EA's tie-in game The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King could be easily written off at first glance as a simple cash-in. It's therefore a very pleasant surprise to find such an addictive and high quality game nestling at the heart of it all. The developers have, as with the enjoyable Two Towers tie-in, opted for a beat-'em-up in the style of old classics such as Golden Axe. It proves to be a wise choice. Seamlessly incorporating some of the finest cinematic moments from the film, the game is a frenetic, rip-roaring and hugely entertaining affair. And surprisingly, it's a well-thought-through and highly challenging one too. The gameplay rewards the player willing to try things other than the same old moves, and through a series of combos and upgrades, it constantly pushes you onward. It's no one-weekend wonder either, with a healthy long-term challenge packed in. Downers? A couple of levels don't quite reach the standards set by the game's best, and the toughness of the challenge may also deter more casual gamers. They'd be really missing out though, for not only is Return of the King one of the best movie tie-ins of recent times--certainly eclipsing the aforementioned Two Towers title--it's a tremendously enjoyable game in its own right. It's just a shame now that EA have run out of films and books, as we'd happily thirst for another instalment 12 months down the line. Best make the most of this one, then... --Simon Brew
- Special third-person gameplay as you fight and think your way past multiple dangers, to destroy the One Ring
- Choose from playable characters like Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Sam, and Frodo -- all voiced by the actual movie actors
- Twelve interactive levels players will embark through, as you team up with a friend for cooperative multiplayer action
- Interactive environments players can use against their foes -- swing from ropes, fire catapults, kick boulders and more
- Explore the Paths of the Dead, defend Minas Tirith, and battle Sauron's forces in the ultimate showdown between good & evil!