Over the many years since its initial release the Pokemon series has slowly evolved into one of the most expansive and in-depth role-playing games available on any format. Pokemon Emerald is a sort of directorís cut of Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, in much the same way that Pokemon Crystal relates to Pokemon Gold and Silver or Pokemon Yellow to Pokemon Red and Blue. Although the storyline is similar to Ruby and Sapphire its focus is on the legendary pokemon Rayquaza, rather than Kyogre and Groudon. Not only does this alter the storyline in several important places but it also changes where and how often you can catch certain pokemon. Some of the trainers have moved around as well and there are also new battle animations for all the pokemon when they fight. The most important new feature is the Battle Frontier and the seven Frontier Brain competitors. This is for real pokemon experts and takes the form of a seven different tournaments against some especially powerful pokemon. The reward is some additional badges that further increase your powers as a trainer. Unlike Ruby and Sapphire the game is also compatible with the Game Boy Advance wireless adaptor, which makes it easier to battle and trade and also gives you access to the Union chat room, for you to fill with real pokefans. With many other smaller additions and tweaks, such as a National Pokedex that includes listing for every Pokemon in existence, this is just the thing for pokemon obsessives of all ages. -- Harrison DentThis preview is based on an incomplete version of the game; features or problems mentioned above may not appear in the finished game.
- Players must keep balance in the world of Hoenn, where Team Magma or Team Aqua are taking over
- Use your best battle strategies - on the Battle Frontier you'll face the most challenging competition ever
- 7 Frontier Brain competitors - beat them to gain all the symbols of the Battle Frontier
- Connects with Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, Colosseum, Fire Red and Leaf Green for total compatibility
- Wireless multiplayer trading and battling with up to 4 players