1. System Requirements
3. Changes in patches
4. Known issues
6. Technical Support
7. Legal information
1. System Requirements
- OS: Windows 2000/XP, DirectX 9.0C
- CPU: Pentium 4 / Athlon 1.5 GHz or higher
- RAM: 512 MB or higher
- Video: 128 MB AGP GeForce4 Ti4200 / RADEON 8500 or higher video card
- CD/DVD-ROM speed: 32x
- Sound: DirectX compatible PCI 16-bit sound card
- OS: Windows 2000/XP, DirectX 9.0C
- CPU: Pentium 4 / Athlon 2,4 GHz or higher
- RAM: 1024MB or higher
- Video: 256 MB AGP 8x GeForceFX 6600 / RADEON x800 or higher video card
- CD/DVD-ROM speed: 32x
- Dolby Surround 5.1 sound processor
Please make sure that you are installing the right patch for you game version.
1. Before installing Heroes of Might & Magic V patch 1.4 please close all other programs.
2. Run patch installation file.
3. Follow the instructions.
Upon installation you can run the game either from windows start menu ('Start' -> 'All Programs' -> 'Ubisoft' -> 'Heroes of Might and Magic V' -> 'Heroes
of Might and Magic V') or use 'Heroes.exe' file from the game installation directory (By default, the game will be installed into
"C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Heroes of Might and Magic V").
Changes will not take effect if loading from the old save - Game restart will be needed.
3. Changes in patches:
(!) Some fixes will take effect only after map restart, if loading from an older version save.
"Paper doll" in Hero inventory interface
Support for p2p network in the game and in the editor (now maps can be loaded from shared folders without downloading, check the map editor documentation for more details)
Note: If you have maps with same name in "C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Heroes of Might and Magic V\Maps" folder and in the p2p's folder then the game will activate the map from game's folder.
Bugs repaired and changes made:
- Game no longer freezes on sending results to ubi screen
- Game no longer freezes on Ubi rating games when host is disconnected
- Game results will not be submitted to ubi.com situation is no longer present
- Placing the "entry point object on the map no longer causes the editor to freeze"
- 'Move Hero' button disabling at turn start in some situations no longer present
- Hero movement path plotting on Puzzle Map seen no longer
- In the Wait interface players default names now change with player color change
- Select spell region difference with spell icon exists no longer
- Showing more then 1k creatures in one stack now is correct
- the big icon of Random Hero in Duel creation interface now is correct
- option changes now may be saved by clicking 'Apply' button
- the “Clear” button in Hall Of Fame no longer erases all results including the default ones
- not all the upgrades performed are updated correctly bug exists no more
- no movement path after exiting whirlpool bug fixed
- Vital information no longer displayed after player presses 'End Turn' button in Hot Seat Mode
- icons of Shadow Matriarch, Cavalier, Spectre, Wraith, Silver Unicorn, Emerald Dragon now are in accordance with their models
- icon of Sack of Endless Gold now is accordance with model
- mission results screen has been improved
- the Alt+F4 shortcut works correctly now in multiplayer duel mode
- many text bugs have been fixed
Gameplay, Mechanics, Balance:
- Duel 3x3 concept has been improved
- the problem with incomplete army positioning in Duel 3x3 mode exists no longer
- Gremlins can repair machines and construct creatures only once per combat in all situations
- Mages no longer damage themselves from casting
- the ability "Guardian Angel" no longer gives an extra turn to the hero after the stack resurrected by the "Guardian Angel" has died
- Vampires no longer regenerate when attacking undead creatures
- Pendant of Mastery and Artificier manipulating exploit fixed
- specialization for dungeon hero Eruina now works correctly
- changes in cost of buildings in Sylvan town
- creatures now are collected in dwellings
- all levels of Magic Guild cost equally in all towns
- now creatures don’t disappear in combat when splitting stacks
- skill Gating now is more balanced and improved
- perk "Power of speed" was changed and grants "Mass Haste" spell now
- perk "Power of Endurance" was changed and grants "Mass Endurance" spell now
- building "Dragon Tombstone" (Necropolis) now requires Dragon Graveyard to be built first.
- building "Library" (Academy) now requires Magic Guild to be built first.
- perk “Imbue Ballista” (Ranger) can't be obtained by the hero without perk “Imbue Arrow” now.
- Warlock can get "Resistance" and "Counterspell" perks now.
- functionality of the Map Editor has been improved
- Hero Editor Tool has been improved
- wrong camera behavior when a Paladin attacked by the range attack creature now fixed
- wrong camera behavior when a unit is "scared" by the attack of the Hell Charger now fixed
- wrong camera behavior when a creature attacked by the attack of Ranger now fixed
- the auto-combat button doesn't have a correct refreshing of its icon in hot seat when 2 human players are carrying the combat bug exist no longer
- the delay between clicking on a hero's destination and his actual movement on the adventure map now fixed
- wrong system resolution after system went to standby bug exists no more
- sky in Necropolis town has been improved
…and some more.
Map editor (you can find a shortcut to editor manual in start menu or you can find the manual directly in the "Heroes of Might and Magic V\Editor Documentation folder").
- new 3 x 3 heroes duel format
- random heroes selection for duel
- hero and army information interface
New Mission Results menu
Hotkey 'ALT' to highlight all interactive objects (resources, monsters, buildings, etc.) at the adventure map
Hotkey 'CTRL' + '1,2,3...' to enter in castles
Four new multiplayer maps:
- “The School”
- “Wind Rose”
- “No Man's Land”
Bugs repaired and changes made:
Crashes and stability:
- the game no longer crashes when saved if there is not enough space on the HDD
- several bugs in the Ghost Mode repaired that made the game “freeze”
- “The Land of Outcasts” map no longer has buildings that can’t be entered
- The “Rise to Power” map no longer has creatures that can’t be interacted with.
Corrected mistakes in the game mechanics:
- the Ghost can no longer see the number of creatures in the stack on the map if one of the player’s heroes’ Scouting is developed
- all the creatures can use their special abilities when affected by the Puppet Master spell
- the peasants’ Taxpayer ability works correctly when they are divided into stacks
- mistake corrected that, under certain conditions, allowed mini artifacts assembled for half price to be sold for full price
- the boat summon function of the Vessel of Shalassa spell now works correctly at bridges and certain shores
- the Remote Control perk corrected
- the Elementals now can appear in the Favored Enemy list
- the hero using the Angel’s Wings artifact can now be stopped by a mouse click
- when a hero goes through a portal or a whirlpool his path refreshes now
- AI player collects artifacts properly now
Changes of balance:
- damage inflicted by the Meteor Shower spell at Advanced and Expert levels decreased
- the Puppet Master spell now does not fall off when the hypnotized creature suffers damage; but each caster can have only one active Puppet Master
- the Fire Trap spell now sets mines in random locations not throughout the whole field but within a 5x5 tiles area selected by the player; in this area, the mines’ locations are still random
- more damage is now absorbed by the Arcane Armor spell
- the Phantom Forces spell now allows creating only one phantom for each group of creatures; the phantom has no activated abilities, and it has the same number of ammo as the original stack
- the Summon Creatures spell now spends 75% of the hero’s movement points (if the hero is short of movement points, the spell will be unavailable till the next turn)
- each use of the Raise Dead spell now makes a 20% decrease of the target unit’s maximal HP till the end of the combat
- each use of the Resurrection spell now makes a 10% decrease of the target unit’s maximal HP till the end of the combat
- the Master of Wrath perk now also affects the Word of Light, giving it +4 effective spellpower
- the Master of Pain perk now also affects the Curse of the Netherworld, giving it +4 effective spellpower
- the Ghosts/Spectres characteristics have been changed: these creatures now have more HP but inflict less damage
- the Cavalry Commander specialization now gives Jousting bonus not for each walked tile but for the final result dramatically decreasing the full damage
- the Iron Maden specialization: the Fireball spellpower now becomes 0+1 greater for each 5th level, not 1+1 for each 4th level
- the Swift Striker specialization: the ATB now shifts for 0.5% only for each level
- the Reanimator specialization: the Animate Dead spellpower now becomes +1 greater for each 5th level only
- the Poison Master specialization now works correctly
- Eruina duel presset: The army was weaken a little
- Lethos duel presset: Artifact "Four leaf clover" changed to “Tunic of the Carved Flesh”.
- the building costs in the towns have been balanced
- the mana cost of 3rd, 4th and 5th circles’ spells have increased
- skill "War Mashines" adds hit points to war machines now.
- catapult has unlimited ammunition now
- Warlock, Wizard and Necromant have one starting spell now.
Camera, graphics, interfaces
- the spells effects in combat are now accelerated together with the animations
- when a hero moves, the camera now follows him or her instead of remaining static
- the Knight does no longer disappear from the arena when using Retaliation against the Obsidian Gargoyles
- in the Haven town, part of the building’s texture does not disappear when a Town Hall or City Hall is being erected
- when switching to the Ghost Mode, the camera now focuses on the ghost
- the combat at the bridges now always takes part in a corresponding arena
- after defeating an enemy hero, the corresponding information of the gained trophies now appears
- some tooltips in the Duel Lobby interface have been corrected
- in the Duel interface, the heroes’ icons no longer block the information of their levels
- in the combat log, the text for the First Aid Tent has been corrected
- the text of several messages in the Ghost Mode has been corrected
- in a town without a visiting hero, the creatures’ expanded tooltips can now be viewed
- in combat, the walls and gates now have tooltips with their remaining HP
- information about another player in hot-seat turn passing is hidden now
- it is impossible to dismiss the creatures of allied hero now
- switching heroes in tavern and in the info screen now works correctly.
- allies now can see the parts of the map opened by seer’s hut or observatory
- additional corrections have been made in various texts
…and some more.
- Extended tool tips for buildings on the adventure map.
- Melee attack performed when holding CTRL.
- A hotkey (R) to invoke the creature-hiring interface from any town interface.
- All creatures now have a new status (Range), describing the range at which the creature's attack is halved.
- A new Video Option: Camera Mode.
- A new End of Combat interface.
- Hot-seat duel mode.
- Hall of Fame.
- Two new maps: 'Last Hope' and 'War of The Worlds'
Bugs repaired and changes made:
- Multiplayer now works correctly.
- Various textual mistakes (descriptions, missing objectives, and messages) were corrected.
- Balance was tuned on the following maps: 'The Conquest', 'The Attack', 'The Invasion', 'The Cultists', 'The Triumvirate', 'Defiance', 'Island of One's Own'.
- AI can no longer hire Haven heroes on 'The Fall of the King' map.
- On 'The Fall of the King' map, the area where Godric is to be brought to fulfil the 'Send Godric to Nicolai' task has been enlarged.
- On 'The Cultists' map, the 'Capture any town in one week' task no longer disappears from the list immediately upon completion instead of becoming completed.
- On 'The Temptation' map, if the enemy Wizard patrolling the river is killed, the 'Avoid enemy patrols' objective will no longer be automatically completed.
- On 'The Refugees' map, one of the objectives was fixed.
- On the 'Dragon Pass' map, the 'Defeat All' task is now specified.
- On 'The Triumvirate' map, after Zehir's fight with Markal, the message 'You Lost' no longer appears.
- On 'The March' map, the hero Grawl can now visit the red key master tent.
- On the 'Liberation' map, the AI can no longer hire the hero Narxes.
- On 'The Alliance' map, the use of the Instant Travel spell no longer causes the script failure.
- On the 'Diplomat' map, losing to AI with the Quick Combat option now fails the mission.
- On the 'Maahir's Gambit' map, the AI cannot seize any of the artefacts that are key to the task's completion.
- On 'The Refugees' map, a possible problem with non-completion of the main objective was fixed.
- On the 'Raelag's Offer' map, the game no longer hangs if Isabel or Markal lose to neutral creatures.
- 'The Emerald One' map can now be played after loading a saved game.
- On 'The Refugee' map, a possible problem with gaining the Dragon Teeth Necklace artefact was fixed.
- The Black Dragons can now be healed by the First Aid Tents.
- The model of Shadya was corrected.
- When Gating is used, the clone will no longer be a normal creature.
- Incorrect message in the 'Rumours' interface in the Tavern was fixed.
- The game now renews the list of sessions in the lobby after the player has left the session.
- Unreachable Dolmen of Knowledge was fixed on the 'Land of Outcasts' map.
- A non-activated dialogue cutscene was fixed on the 'A Tear for Ossir' map.
- Mages and Archmages now use their shot ability properly.
- Gating works for a lone Horned Overseer now.
- The ATB-bar now shows proper information about the turns queue.
- The problem fixed with the bottom part of buildings models in the Preserve appears through the water.
- When an Archangel dies of 'Harm Touch', he no longer remains hanging over the field.
- In Time Pressing mode, the time is now shown.
- Texts are no longer duplicated in the chat after leaving the combat.
- The puzzle map now works correctly in the Underworld.
- The problem with the incorrectly positioned camera at one of the Grass arenas was fixed.
- The player can no longer gain two levels of the same skill with one Level-Up.
- Summoned creatures are no longer shown in the Combat Results calculations.
- Time overlaps with the icon in Dynamic Battle.
- The 'Resisted' inscription now appears in the right place.
- On 'The Betrayal' map, there is no longer a message when approaching the garrison.
- Vampires and Vampire Lords no longer restore their health when attacking Undead creatures.
- Heroes now move with the correct sound at x3 speed.
- Lethos now uses his Decay ability properly.
- It is now much easier to move the cursor to objects.
- The user can no longer hear the opponents by using Monolith.
- The hero in the Haven town garrison now gains weekly movement bonus from Stables.
- The Sphinx' text box was changed.
- The player starting the game with the Random Hero option can no longer have a hero already selected by another player.
- In the multiplayer game, if one of the players quits while the map is being loaded, the other players can start their session anyway.
- The message which appears when a combat is lost to Possessed creatures was corrected.
- A Hero leaving a town no longer returns there immediately as sometimes occurred.
- The Sparkling Fountain now correctly gives Luck +2.
- Objects on the map now have correct tool tips.
- Description of the Silent Stalker perk was fixed.
- The hero Sinitar now has an accurate description of his 'Catalyst' ability.
- The Deep Hydra now restores its health completely.
- The error in the description of the Idol of Fortune was fixed.
- The spell 'Weakness' is correctly explained in the tool tip.
- The hero is no longer able to take troops from allies.
- With faster hero movement settings, other map animations are no longer accelerated.
- The text was formatted in the 'Ritual Pit' interface.
- The Scouts' and Assassins' 'No Range Penalty' are contrary to fact.
- Problem with creatures overlapping with fragments of ruined fortifications at the siege arena was fixed.
- The Dragon Bone Greaves artefact now gives initiative bonus to melee-fighting creatures.
- Damage prediction was corrected.
- The error in how the 'Frenzy' spell works was fixed.
- The error in how the 'Puppet Master' spell works was fixed.
- Numerous minor defects and bugs were fixed.
- EASY mode
- MP does not start if the player states differ
- "Ubi.com error" message does not appear after a win in a rating game
- Random cities use name and description from map
- Profile screen fixes (experience, alignment)
- Haven: stables message is back, other messages fixed
- Profile screen: random race games now shown correctly
- Camera glitches in Rebellion' campaign map cutscene removed
- Item selection in lobby screen fixed
- Ghost mode 'guard' command fixed
- Ghost mode after disconnection turn transfer fixed
- Profile info for other players now accessible
- Map info for MP games is localized
- The spells added by the library are given to the hero immediately
- MP game preferences panel fixed
- "Resisted" combat text fixed
- Training games results are not reported to Ubi.com now
- Hero perk rolls fixed
- Elemental creatures not affecting by Wasp Swarm spell now
- Druid Elder's Mana Feed ability fixed
- Temptress hero specialization fixed
- Some points of Combat AI fixed
- 'The Promise' campaign map 3-th cutscene sound fixed
- ATBBar refresh fixed
- Separate stacks displayed in Combat Results
- Heroes planned paths searching at turn start/after whirlpool fixed
- Invalid level ups (double skill increases) blocked
- Representation of heroes on boats in ghost mode now is correct
- After all players disconnected from Ghost mode game ending correctly
- Combat pathfinder does not ignore the moat
- Artifact Merchant submenu can not be called by hotkey without the building
- Reconnected players can't see themselves on Ubi.com now
- Dark Raider retaliation strike fixed
- Creatures under Berserk spell effect always attack now
- Refined Mana perk fixed
- Hut of Magi still shows areas after pressing Esc key
- Castle gates are closed immediately
- Zero-count monsters on low difficulty levels fixed
- Water shaders fixed
- Startup videos playback fixed
- Grail map called from underground fixed
- Ghost mode phase message fixed
- Sound glitches fixed
- MP game name length is restricted
- Interface sounds are not 3d fixed
- Fixed prerequisites for Urgash's Call, it was impossible to take it.
- Campaign map 'The Conquest' Main Sylvan hero Gilraen weakened, his script fixed
- Maeve added as haven random hero
- double hero portraits prevented
- Now after 'The Attack' campaign map loading right 'Invasion' map instead 'The Regicide' map
- 'The Defence' campaign map scripts fixed
- Shadow Witches have new model
- 'The Cultist's' campaign map garrison fixed
- Credits fixed
- 'The March' campaign map keymaster blocked for AI
- Demon character fixed
- Zehir's flag color changed
- Map tags fixed for MP maps
- AI-geometry for Pyramid and shipwrecks fixed
- Dungeon town: Grim Enclosure and lightmaps fixed
- Random heroes on MP maps fixed
- Hero Jhora gets Magic Missile spell due to her specialization description
- Inferno and Necropolis lightmaps recalculated
- Maeve hero Tactics removed
- '954 YSD: Hot Pursuit': some map objects fixed
- 'Dragon Pass': object fixed, rebalanced
- fixed instant travel holes
- Duel presets rebalanced
- 'The Betrayal' campaign map message for garrison approach added
- 'The Expansion'campaigm map multiple fixes added (hero skills, messages, added guards)
- 'Raelag's Offer' campaign map: texture near Inferno Military Post fixed
- The game works with onboard video and some of the older video cards now
- LAN games can now be played in different segment configurations
4. Known issues
Switching off 'V-Sync' option in your video driver options may cause twitched animation in Town if you rotate the camera manually.
Loading a save from another language version can cause fonts and textual problems in the interface.
Yahoo Messenger can conflict with the multiplayer, so switch it off to play the game on the UBI.COM
5.1 Outdated or incorrect video drivers may cause some issues. Before contacting support, please check you have the latest versions of video drivers and
correct DirectX 9.0c version for you system. Lastest version drivers you may take at:
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp for nVIDIA graphics cards
https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27 for ATI Technologies graphics cards
DirectX 9.0c version may be found on the game installation disc.
5.2 Also, before launching the game, make sure that no other programs are running.
5.3 The game does not support playing through http proxy. The player needs direct (real IP) or NATed (most intranets) internet connection. In case of
firewall the player needs to open the following ports:
6668 TCP (IRC servers(chat in lobby))
40000 to 42999 TCP (Various Ubi.com servers)
44000 UDP (CDKey servers)
45000 UDP (NAT server)
42500 UDP ( CDKey local port, can be configured by the player through game config files, "setvar net_ubi_cdkey_port = ")
8888 UDP (The Game itself, can be configured by player through game config files, "setvar net_game_port = ")
6. Technical Support
Before contacting Ubisoft Entertainment's Technical Support Department, please browse through our FAQ listings or search our support database at our
Here you will find the most recently updated information since the games's release.
Also please make sure that your computer meets the minimum system requirements,
as our support representatives will be unable to assist customers whose
computers do not meet these criteria.
Whenever you contact the Technical Support Department, please include the
following information or have it available if you are calling:
-Complete product title (including version number)
-Exact error message reported (if applicable) and a brief description of the
problem you're encountering
-Processor speed and manufacturer
-Amount of RAM
-Video card that you are using and amount of RAM it has
-Maker and speed of your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
-Type of sound card you are using
Contact Us Over the Internet
This is the best way to contact us. Our website is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a
week and it contains the most up to date Technical Support information available
including patches that can be downloaded free of charge. We update the Support
pages on a daily basis so please check here first for solutions to your problems
Contact Us by E-mail
For fastest response via e-mail, please visit our website at:
7. Legal Information
This software product and the manual are copyrighted and all rights are reserved by Ubisoft and Nival Interactive and are protected by the copyright laws
that pertain to computer software. You may copy this software for back-up and casual distribution.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, you may not modify, adapt, translate, create derivative works, decompile, disassemble, or otherwise reverse engineer or
derive source code from all or any portion of the software or anything incorporated therein, permit, or encourage any third party to do so.
Heroes of Might and Magic is a registered trademark of Ubisoft. Pentium, Microsoft Windows, Athlon, GeForce, Radeon, SoundBlaster, DirectX are trademarks
of their respective owners.
Limitations of Warranty
Nival Interactive and Ubisoft expressly disclaim any warranty for the game and Readme file.
The program and Readme file are provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either express or implied.
The entire risk arising out of use or performance of the Program and Readme file remains with the User.
Limitations of Liability
Neither Nival Interactive nor Ubisoft, or their parent, subsidiaries or affiliates shall be liable in any way for loss or damage of any kind resulting
from the use of the program.