To celebrate the recent European release of the game, a playable demo of X2 The Threat
is (finally) available, allowing you to try out this space combat simulation developed by Egosoft
. The demo offers 5 tutorials and 'a few playable missions' in a test universe. Check out our review
for more about the game. Thanks: Factornews
Gamer's Hell Local Download
: X2 The Threat Demo (136.7 MB)
XÃ‚Â² - The Threat playable demo
Configuration of Joystick and Mouse
All important controls can also be mapped to joystick or mouse buttons (see configuration dialogue). Note however that some buttons have combined functionality (e.g: The target prev. and target next buttons activate the target scanner when held and the missile select button launches a missile when held etc.).
Tips to improve performance
Turn off any additional software especially any virus checkers. If still slow make sure there is no spy or adware running. Turn off all anti-aliasing at the driver level. If you do want AA turned on then do this within the game settings but this is only recommended on DX9 or above cards!
To archive optimum performance an amount of 256MB oof main memory or more is suggested!
The default graphical settings are:
* Bumpmaps ON
* Shadows OFF
* Anti-aliasing OFF
Selecting "Graphic Resolution" on the XÃ‚Â² load screen allows you to alter these settings from the defaults.
* Should you experience any problems with the voice playback in X2 please make sure you have installed the Windows Media update which is offered during installation of this game. You can reinstall this separately by starting the program "WMFDIST.EXE" from the installation CD!
* For up to date support information please visit www.egosoft.com
Additional AI modules and more - Join the online community
Register online at www.egosoft.com to get access to the X2 online community where you can download cool new upgrades for your shipcomputer.
To gain full access to the online community you will need to register X2 online with the "online registration key code" found on the sticker in your product.
Note that this is NOT the same registration code needed when installing this game!
URL for registration is: www.egosoft.com/x2/register/KOCH
DirectX version 9
Windows 98SE, ME, 2000 or XP
128MB of memory
A 32MB graphic card (GeForce equivalent or above)
Follow these instructions for uninstalling the game:
1) Go to Start, then Programs, and look for the "EGOSOFTX2-The Threat" folder.
2) Locate the "Uninstall X2-The Threat" icon and left-click on it.
3) Answer "Yes" when you are prompted to remove X2-The Threat from your computer,
- or -
Alternatively you can uninstall the game using the Control Panel:
1) Go to Start, then Settings, then find the Control Panel icon and left-click on it.
2) Locate the "Add/Remove Programs" icon and double-click on it.
3) Under the Install/Uninstall tab, look for "Uninstall X2-The Threat" from the program list and left-click on it.
4) Left-click on the "Add/Remove..." button.
5) Answer "Yes" when you are prompted to remove X2-The Threat from your computer.
Software Copyright 2003 Egosoft. All rights reserved.
X2-The Threat, the X2-The Threat logo, are trademarks of Egosoft.
Software and manual may not be copied, reproduced, translated or reduced to any electrical medium or machine readable form, in whole or in part, without prior written consent from EGOSOFT.
Some people experience epileptic seizures when viewing flashing lights or patterns in our daily environment.
These persons may experience epileptic seizures while watching TV pictures or playing computer games.
Even players who have never had any seizures may nonetheless have an undetected epileptic condition.
Consult your doctor before playing computer games if you, or someone of your family, have an epileptic condition. Immediately stop the game, should you experience any of the following symptoms during play:
- altered vision
- eye or muscle twitching
- mental confusion
- loss of awareness of your surroundings
- involuntary movements and/or convulsions
Trade. Fight. Build. Think.
"In a universe of possibilities, your next move could be your last..."
With over two years of development time going into the project, the team at EGOSOFT have crafted a dynamic, active universe, in which to immerse the player. Tagged as the "21st Century Elite" by PC ZONE, the game has already received vast amounts of coverage; with press overwhelmed by the quality of graphics and depth of game play.
"From what we've seen, XÃ‚Â² looks even better than FreeLancer" - PC ZONE
Mankind's exploration of the stars has not been without incident. It has been fraught with dangers. Conflicts have ensued across a hundred sectors of space.
New races have been discovered. Treaties of commerce signed - declarations of war enforced.
It is a universe of smugglers and businessmen, of bounty hunters and
travellers, from countless worlds. All striving to make their mark on a universe in constant flux. It is a dangerous place, with threats both from within and beyond. After years of conflict, an uneasy peace has settled across the many worlds, as humans and aliens strive to live together in harmony.
A failed star ship theft brings you to the attention of the authorities, and the cold reality of a lengthy sentence on a penal world. En-route to hard labour, you are brought before a senior member of the Argon Federation's Security Force, an offer of redemption and freedom on the table. Seizing the opportunity, you set forth with your new life, hauling freight for TerraCorp.
Old ghosts however never rest, and before long your past catches up with you.
The discovery of a new race and their destructive intentions brings adventure fraught with danger and intrigue. Revelations from your past begin to emerge and these must be faced as you discover your true identity. Decisions are to be made, struggling between your conscious and loyalties.
This is the galaxy in which you belong - A galaxy in turmoil. Your destiny and that of the universe is in your hands.
* Graduated learning curve allows for immediate action.
* Absolute state of the art graphics engine utilising all the latest Direct X capabilities.
* Heart thumping storyline and missions.
* Large dynamic universe to interact with and explore.
* Thousands of objects including, stations, ships, a myriad of
weapons, commodities to trade and different races with their own agendas and technologies.
* Build your own empire with all of these objects at your disposal as a trader, bounty hunter, pirate, miner or a cunning combination of them all.
Visit http://www.egosoft.com for further details about the game and to register for the X2 online community where you can download additional components for X2!