Active Gaming is proud to present its first expansion pack for Nival’s WWII RTS Blitzkrieg, Ostfront: Barbarossa.
Ostfront: Barbarossa offers a brand new singleplayer campaign for Blitzkrieg depicting Germany’s invasion of Russia in 1941 along 11 historical battles and countless random missions. Starting as a Lieutenant in the German Panzer forces, the player will spearhead the offensive of Army Group Centre towards Smolensk. As he progresses along the 9 chapters of the campaign, the player will earn medals and promotions, leading in tactical combat an everincreasing number of experienced tanks and artillery units.
More than just a new campaign, Ostfront: Barbarossa enhances many aspects of the original Blitzkrieg gameplay, with dramatically increased weapon and sight ranges, revised units data and organization, to provide the player with the most possible realistic World War II tactical real-time experience. The German and Russian 1941 arsenals are completed with 20 new armored or motorized units, including 14 brand new 3D units and 6 modified ones from the original Blitzkrieg game.
Ostfront: Barbarossa will be released by Active Gaming on August 31, 2004 and distributed worldwide (except Russia and CIS) via Active Gaming’s e-shop at a retail price of Ã‚Â£ 15 / € 22 / $ 27 US. Nival Interactive licensed to distribute in Russia and CIS.
- Take command of a core battlegroup of up to 16 tanks and 6 artillery units, each of them gaining in combat efficiency as they earn experience throughout the whole Barbarossa campaign.
- Upgrade each of your battlegroup’s units with new and more powerful armored matÃ©riel as you successfully complete the most challenging random missions.
- Totally overhauled data for all units, sight and weapon ranges yield a very realistic World War II real-time tactical experience, in a completely transparent way for the player.
- 11 historically accurate missions with random events offer a different challenge every time you play them.
- Advanced mission scripting allows for more realistic AI behaviour. Units will retreat or rout when suffering too many casualties, including on your own side!
- Maps are on average 2 times bigger than in the original Blitzkrieg, to allow wide maneuvering room for units.
- Includes 14 brand new 3D units with various German half-track fighting vehicles (SdKfz 250 and different SdKfz 251 variants), self-propelled artillery (Pz I Sigg 33, Stuka zu Fuss), transports (Krupp Protze, SdKfz 2 Kettenkrad), ground-attack planes (Ju 88, Me 110), flamethrower tanks (Pz II Flamingo) and Russian tanks (T-26A and T-28).
- Realistic 1941 eastern front atmosphere with retextured units and new sound effects.
- Includes new infantry soldiers (German forward observer team, grenadier, Russian prisoners) and completely revised squad organisation for more historical realism. Squad choice now include command, tank hunters, recon, pioneer, flamethrower squads.
- Multiplayer enabled (multiplayer missions will come after release as free downloads).
- Compatible with both Blitzkrieg and Burning Horizons.