The original Roller Coaster Tycoon had the winning combination of fun and mainstream appeal. Ironically, Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 imitates RCT. Perhaps in an effort to spoil a good thing or perhaps to guarantee success with low-system-spec mainstream fans, Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 plays almost exactly like the original game. Maybe too much like it. The graphics are still two-dimensional, and if you didn't know better you'd swear you were still looking at the first game. The ability to play the game in much higher resolution alleviates some of the disappointment with graphics: a closer look reveals greater variety in animations, more people and a smoother look overall. The audio is, again, fantastic. It's the perfect mix of screams of terror, enthusiastic giggling, grumbling, retching and carnival music and brings the scent of candy floss to your nose every time. New structures are available as well as some new rides, but the biggest change is the addition of themes. Want a Haunted Park? They've given you the artwork you need to create one. You'll also find a Wild West theme, a children's theme and more. The scenarios are grouped more logically by difficulty and fans will be delighted with a sand box mode that allows limitless free play. RCT2 has a wide variety of new roller coaster designs, including a few famous roller coasters from around the world (mostly from Six Flags theme parks). A very welcome addition is the ability to open a separate screen where you can test-build a custom roller coaster without worrying about space or money before buying and placing it in the game. Perhaps the best new addition is the ability to raise and lower the ground en masse, which removes one of the most annoying features of the first game. Roller Coaster Tycoon 2isn't a ground-breaking sequel but it is an excellent game for fans of the series. We can wish they'd done more with the concept, brought it to 3-D or used new, higher resolution artwork, but the gameplay remains the same. And that's a thrilling ride on its own. --Andrew S Bub
- Includes 25 Six Flags roller coasters from 5 different Six Flags locations including Six Flags Magic Mountain and Six Flags Great Adventure!
- Create your own incredible roller coasters using the all-new Roller Coaster Designer!
- Trade creations and challenge other RollerCoaster Tycoons worldwide on www.rollercoastertycoon.com!
- Push the limits with new roller coaster types including Giga Coaster, Spinning Wild Mouse, Inverted Impulse Coaster and more!
- Customize your park with new and unique themes including Giant Garden, Wild West, Pirates and more!