Most people will have dreamed of being a movie star at some point in their lives but the number that have actually dreamed of being an actual movie mogul--in charge of a whole studio--are probably rather smaller, if only because it's difficult to imagine just how much money and power that would bring. The Movies though asks you to play just that role as you try to build up your business empire from scratch as well as lending a hand in the actual creation of your films. The Movies is the latest massively ambitious simulation from Peter Molyneux (maker of classics such as Populous and Black & White) and can be seen as logical progression from his Theme Park/Hospital series of games. Unlike these games though the actual micro management of your studio--building lots, picking stars and handling unions--isn't necessarily the most interesting part of the game, engrossing though it can be. Instead actually making your movies becomes the most fun part, for although you can just specify a genre, cast and budget you can also paste together films yourself, scene by scene. For each scene you can choose the actors, sets, costumes and script and then alter the mood and flow of the scene through a number of slider bars. This allows you to create a completely unique movie of your own, which you can even export from the game and show to other people. You probably won't be worrying Steven Spielberg, but other lesser directors--they better watch out! -- David Jenkins
- Design your own studio and run it from the early days of cinema through present day and beyond in Story Mode by managing studio resources, investing in RD and maximizing box office success
- Make your own movies - Make movies that appeal to the masses in Story Mode or in Sandbox Mode you can jump into any era and create your dream movie.
- Control the destiny of your cast and crew - Fire and hire them, turn unknowns into movie stars, and take full creative control over script selection and the content of the movies you'll create.
- More than 30 hours of continuous gameplay, thousands of exciting movie characters, and limitless options allow you to vary just about everything
- Show the world your talents - Post your movies to the web for all to see.