Arguably the element of the Harry Potter books and films that most lends itself to a video game, Quidditch is a strange sport, and initially seems quite complicated. However, in the new game Quidditch World Cup, it's both fun to play and a good choice for all the family. It's also more straightforward than you'd think. Much thought has clearly gone into providing a gentle learning curve, and picking up the basics of the game is supremely easy. It's helped, of course, by having familiar faces from the Harry Potter world all along the way, guiding you through what you need to know. The ultimate aim is to walk away with the prize of the game's title, but first there's the small matter of the Hogwarts' tournament to win. You align yourself with one of the four houses, and seek to win that before you can move on to the international stages. And that promptly gets you into the heart of the action. The gameplay, as you'd expect, is frantic and exciting, and while it's not going to keep the older gamer occupied for too long, its target audience is clearly going to be in its element. To keep things going that bit longer, you can earn Quidditch cards as you progress. These are rewards given to you along the way, and can unlock fresh elements of the game. With plenty to collect, it's an added feature that helps prolong the game's life span. Quidditch World Cup is a game with obvious appeal to the many legions of Harry Potter fans. Fortunately for parents the world over, thanks to entertaining gameplay and its faithfulness to the source material, it's not going to disappoint them. --Simon Brew
- The first and only way to experience complete Quidditch matches. Climb aboard a flying broomstick and take flight to engage in exciting competition high above the Quidditch pitch.
- Play as any one of four Hogwarts Houses and numerous characters from the books, including Harry Potter (as a Seeker on the Gryffindor team), crafty Draco Malfoy from Slytherin, and international Quidditch stars such as Bulgarias Victor Krum.
- Play all the Quidditch positions and execute all the high-flying moves: control the three Chasers to score ten-point goals with the Quaffle, the two club-wielding Beaters to control the two dangerous Bludgers, the Keeper to guard the three goal rings, and the Seeker to capture the Golden Snitch to end the match and score 150 points.
- Compete for the Quidditch World Cup, with professional Quidditch teams and stadium environments including USA, Bulgaria, England, the Nordic team, Japan, Germany, France, and Australia.
- The first multiplayer Harry Potter experiencetwo players can play head-to-head