Following on from a succession of hugely popular campaigns across numerous formats, Medal of Honor: Rising Sun brings the franchise back to consoles with another engrossing first-person action game. The action is taken to the Pacific Theatre for the first time, plunging the player into the shoes of Marine Corporal Joseph Griffin. Over the course of the game, he has a lot to get through too. There's Pearl Harbor to survive. His brother to rescue. And the small matter of a number of Japanese soldiers who stand in the way
In truth, the formula hasn't moved on much for the franchise, but then it does work spectacularly well. The game's various missions are varied, and they demand elements of stealth, action and a bit of sabotage along the way. And they're not afraid to pull the proverbial rug from underneath to keep you on your toes. As ever, the multimedia elements border on spectacular. The musical scores of Medal of Honor games are rarely given the credit they deserve, but their contribution really can't be understated. The cinematic visuals, however, do tend to hog the headlines, and it's easy to see why. As you fight to complete a mission with explosions going off all around you there's little time to notice them. A couple of mild criticisms, then. There isn't much scope to deviate from the set path through the game, which is very tightly scripted. Not a bad thing, but not something that will appeal to everyone. Plus it would be nice to see a few more risks taken with the Medal of Honor formula. These mild grumbles aside, Medal of Honor: Rising Sun is simply a very good video game. It's tense, gripping and desperately addictive. And when you ultimately see the end game sequence, you really will be thirsting for more. --Simon Brew
- As Corporal Joseph Griffin, you fight the Japanese expansion -- stop Imperial control of the Pacific Theatre. At you side are brave soldiers you'll lead through epic missions, across the Pacific Islands.
- Battle for the Pacific in real-life battles like Pearl Harbor and Guadalcanal - blow up the bridge on the River Kwai, rescue POWs in the Philippines -- 5 missions in all
- Experience lifelike combat in ten massive gameplay levels, with 20 authentic WWII weapons to choose from
- Open-ended gameplay lets players try multiple approaches against the enemy -- they can also go it alone or work with a military squad
- All-new reward system, unlockable features and weather effects for immersive gameplay