The fifth title in gaming's favourite wrestling game franchise, WWE Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain is a fantastic and immeasurably enjoyable game. It's not content to just take the last version, change the name, update the graphics and hope people will buy it anyway; there's been a lot of work since Shut Your Mouth and it's really borne fruit. For instance, the game's grappling system has had a lot of work done on it, giving each of the numerous included wrestlers nearly 20 moves to pick from. Sure, there's a learning curve as you get to grips with it all, but it really helps inject a significant depth of gameplay, as do features such as the story mode and the various new match types that are making an appearance. The mixture serves to make the game exceptionally enjoyable, whether playing single-player or bringing in a few friends. Ultimately though, it's the quality of the gameplay that puts Here Comes the Pain into the must-buy category. Not only is it the best wrestling game on the market bar none, it's also one of the most downright entertaining PS2 games to date. It looks better, sounds better and plays better than ever before and is a no-brainer recommendation. --Simon Brew
- Exclusive story mode with original storyline developed by WWE staff writers.
- Unique Superstar abilities featuring real-life attributes of strength, submission, technique, speed and stamina.
- New and improved controls including an in-depth countering and interactive submission system.
- All-new match types including Bra & Panty, First Blood and Elimination Chamber.
- Enhanced production values featuring dynamic camera transitions, an improved audio experience, Superstar voice over and more-realistic animations.