Mixing first-person shooting action with suitably threatening creatures from the Jurassic past, Turok: Evolution is a welcome step forward in the franchise. Its secret? Nothing major, just that the developers have gone back to what made the series so fun in the first place. This latest sequel is a clear beneficiary of that decision. Thus, the game's action returns to the Lost Lands, albeit with smarter visuals and some excellent, moody audio effects. The gameplay itself, while primarily action based, does reward occasional stealth, although more fun will be gleamed from the broadened arsenal of hardware and choosing when to use them. There's a lot to explore, and the enemy AI puts up a far harder fight than the game's predecessors, all of which count as sizeable marks in the plus column. Turok: Evolution is no classic, though. Its levels are frequently a little too sprawling, and despite the generally enjoyable gameplay, a little more urgency wouldn't have gone amiss. That said, it's a title that's going to reward expectant fans of the franchise, and while it's not cutting edge stuff, Turok: Evolution does offer good value for money, and a challenging, lasting single player mode, with an equally enjoyable multi-player segment bolted on. Bottom line: it's a flawed game, but still an entertaining one. And thanks to a generous smattering of levels, tight controls and a sizeable game world, there's enough on the disc to keep the player immersed for some time. --Simon Brew
- The game starts in Texas, 1886. Captain Bruckner struggles with the young brave named Tal'Set, but during their battle, both men fall through a strange portal. Tal'Set awakes in the Lost Land, chosen as the Turok, the warrior who saves the people from deadly reptilian hordes -- now being led by Captain Bruckner!
- Lush jungle environments await you as you battle through dozens of levels
- Realistic AI enables troops to take cover, establish positions and even surrender
- More than thirty weapons, like the all-new Gravity Disrupter Beam, Swarm Bore and Variable Payload Cruise Missiles
- Play the unique flight missions where you soar through the skies on a fully-armed Pteranodon